The Summer of 1986 (haibun)
I come from work as usual, the dog greeting me at the door. It’s a warm sunny day and we both know what follows: it’s my turn for him to take me out. As we walk along the sidewalk he suddenly pulls towards a patch of grass. I follow him, and there - do I see what I think I see - a four-leaved clover peeking out of the freshly mowed lawn. I've always had the ability to notice things nobody else has: a blossoming weed deep down in the underbrush, a tiny bug crawling into cover, the way sunshine reflects off the leaves... but not the clover, never the clover. I look closer - no mistake, it is indeed a four-leaved clover. In the following weeks I find many more.
her garden
full of unpicked greens
Chernobyl summer
her garden
full of unpicked greens
Chernobyl summer


11 Comments:
The haiku has a real kick to it, polona.
And my wife Pat, who's into photography, thinks your pictures are great. I just introduced her to your site.
Polona - excellent!
And I wanted to add - your eye for detail is probably what makes you such a fine haiku writer.
Great haibu & (tragic) haiku.
a four-leaf clover - just how i felt when i found your site
Ditto Floots!!!
well done!
then don't look so hard, charlie :)
guess i owe you for this one (one of your comments gave me the idea) - thanks.
bill - thank you, and thanks also for introducing this site to your wife... i'm flattered.
aurora - thank you! very kind of you to say that, and i think you're right - i feel haiku (and photography) is a natural form of expression for me.
vaughn - many thanks.
floots - that's a woderful thing of you to say. i find your site a treasure, too.
pat - thanks! you guys sure know how to make my day :)
thanks, kai :)
i think i got everyone hungry...
I really like this. I want to take some time and write more haibun -- they say so much!
thanks, andrew!
yep, it is more challenging to write a (good) haibun than merely a haiku, but can be rewarding.
Post a Comment
<< Home